Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Stuff To Do

Everyone hates those emails that give you hoardes of life advice about kissing peoples' asses and turning the other cheek - ESPECIALLY when they are followed by "and if you don't send this to 50 of your closest friends in the next 45 seconds you will DIE!" But I did get one in my email from my mother the other day that did have some really good words of wisdom in it. So I will put some of them here and share my comments on them. Yes, I am a lazy blogger - but then again being a motivated blogger isn't in this list of rules to live by. So there... :-D

ONE. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
Yep - make someone's day and stop being a bitch. Thanks a lot! In all honesty though, this is very true. You never know when someone you're dealing with is at the end of their rope. Give them a little more to work with and you'll be surprised how far you can get.
TWO. Marry a man/woman you love to talk to. As you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any other.
I think this is ridiculously important - as there is no doubt there will be times when neither of you is physically able to do more than speak with one another. But more than this - marry someone that you can sit and simply stare out the window or around the room with too. Someone you can stand to be silent with is golden.
THREE. Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want.
A-fucking-men! You can't take it with you, so enjoy your money and your time while you're here. Buy that over-priced pay-per-view and then sleep through it! Fuck it! :-D
FOUR. When you say, "I love you," mean it.
And say it OFTEN. And mean it every time. Loveable people are everywhere. When you find them, let them know it.
FIVE. When you say, "I'm sorry," look the person in the eye.
Another comment not to be taken lightly. Admit your mistakes and take responsibility. But more than that, when someone ELSE says it - accept it, believe it, and move on.
SIX. Be engaged at least six months before you get married.
...or just don't get married. It's just a piece of paper that lets the government know what you're up to. It's simpler - believe me!
SEVEN. Believe in love at first sight.
Just open yourself up to it. It's there...
EIGHT. Never laugh at anyone's dreams. People who don't have dreams don't have much.
I had my dreams that I had written in a journal stolen and made fun of. It was probably one of the worst feelings I've ever felt in my entire life. I would not wish this feeling on my worst enemy - you shouldn't either.
NINE. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it's the only way to live life completely.
Absolutely. Giving your heart to someone is one of the greatest things that you will ever do. Don't do it half-assed.
TEN.. In disagreements, fight fairly. No name calling.
People who call other people names just to hurt them suck. They suck a lot. Because as much as words are just words, they hurt and they stick with you.
ELEVEN. Don't judge people by their relatives.
I'll just smile at this one - because we all know someone who prays that others follow this rule every day.
TWELVE. Talk slowly but think quickly.
Take a minute before running your mouth to consider the consequences of what you say. Remember - a conversation goes two ways. It's not just about what you say, but how the listener will receive it. The listener hears not only with their ears but their heart. What are you telling it?
THIRTEEN. When someone asks you a question you don't want to answer, smile and ask, "Why do you want to know?"
There's not a damn thing wrong with questioning motives - in fact if you do it more often you might not go off on an obsessive rampage when you do it! :-D hahaha
FOURTEEN. Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
Peoople are amazing creatures. They can be broken and bruised and hurt beyond belief, but they can also be rebuilt and restored. Don't be afraid to let go. Without struggle, there is no progress (this was in a fortune cookie I ate once - the fortune is still hanging on my monitor at work).
FIFTEEN. Say "bless you" when you hear someone sneeze.
Especially to strangers - it's a great way to get and give a smile - and you might just meet a new friend!
SIXTEEN. When you lose, don't lose the lesson
Because there IS a lesson behind every loss. Just find it.
SEVENTEEN. Remember the three R's: Respect for self; Respect for others; and responsibility for all your actions.
Everyone seems to have an issue with respect - either with respecting themselves or others. jsut remember everyone deserves it - even you! As far as responsibility - My mom once had a sign hanging in her classroom that said "RESPONSIBILITY is the high price we pay for SELF-OWNERSHIP". 'Nuff said.
EIGHTEEN. Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
True friendship is bigger than everything - really. A great friend is something that doesn't come around often enough. Work harder to keep your friends than for anything.
NINETEEN. When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
And don't be afraid to make mistakes - because you can't learn from mistakes until you make them.
TWENTY. Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice.
I'll admit I have a very hard time with this one - but I'm on the phone ALL day at work. I will also admit though that if I *do* smile while answering the phone - the conversation is much more pleasant.
TWENTY-ONE. Spend some time alone.
Everybody needs this. Spending time with other people all the time does not allow you the time to truly figure out who you are by yourself. If you dont know who you are on your own it's impossible to deal with others - you're always showing them a mutated version of yourself. Making time for yourself ensures that the person that people see when they meet you is REALLY you - and not just the rubbings-off of those you have been running with for weeks.

That's all I have to say about that for today I guess.

A quick update on other stuff - I've completely pussed out and haven't even brought up the conversation of emotional currency with Chris. I guess I'm still considering myself in the stage of looking for something that might already be there. But I'm not making a really big effort. I think I'm scared.

Darbi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com